In Aomori, you can see:
• Nebuta Festival. Aug 2-7. Said to be Japan's biggest fire festival. This festival includes an abundance of street vendors. Each day culminates in a huge parade featuring lit up lantern floats and costumed dancers.
• Nebutanosato. This museum houses exhibits about the Nebuta if you're unable to make it during festival season.
• Aomori Bay Bridge. This bridge spans a short harbor inlet that could easily be walked around in five minutes, so it appears to be basically an excuse for public funding as a tourist attraction.
• Aspam Center. A large triangular building that can be easily spotted from the train station or the bridge, this is the tourism center for all of Aomori prefecture.
• Asamushi Onsen. A hot springs resort on Mutsu bay with a rather large number of inns.
• Yotei-maru Ferry. The ferry which connected Hokkaido and Aomori prior to the building of the Seikan Submarine Tunnel, is now a somewhat run down museum, a short walk from the train station. The rear part of the deck of the ferry serves as a beer garden on summer nights.
|Aomori Bay Bridge|
Guide info: www.japan-guide.com/e/e3750.html